LАТЕ ONSET OF SLE IN MALES: A MISDIAGNOSED DISEASE
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disease characterized by the production of antibodies to components of the cell nucleus in association with a diverse array of clinical manifestations. When the immune system attacks its own tissues, it causes widespread inflammation and tissue damage in affected organs. It can affect the joints, skin, brain, lungs, kidneys, and blood vessels. The primary pathological findings in patients with SLE are those of inflammation, vasculitis, immune complex deposition, and vasculopathy. Late-onset SLE represents a specific subgroup of SLE and is often initially missed leading to a significant delay in diagnosis. Elderly patients frequently present to hospital with nonspecific symptoms such as fatigue, recurrent fever of an unknown cause, weight loss, serositis (pleural and/or pericardial effusions), and acute kidney injury. We are describing a case of late onset SLE in a male patient that has been previously only syptomaticaly treated for the complications of the disease itself, whilst it took a longer period for physicians to think of SLE and make further investigations about it, because of the age and sex of the patient.
Keywords: systemic lupus erythematosus, male, late onset, pleural effusion, myocadritits.
2. Childs SG. The pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Orthop Nurs. 2006 Mar-Apr;25(2):140-145.
3. Alexander T, Radbruch A, Hiepe F. Pathogenese des systemischen Lupus erythematodes [Pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus]. Z Rheumatol. 2015 Apr;74(3):183-190.
4. Kutky M, Aloudat S. Late-Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus With Lupus Nephritis in a 74-Year-Old Male: A Brief Case and Review. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018 Aug 6;5:2054358118793397.
5. Do Socorro Teixeira Moreira Almeida M, da Costa Arcoverde J, Barros Jacobino MN, Coimbra Neto AR. Male systemic lupus erythematosus, an overlooked diagnosis. Clin Pract. 2011 Nov 8;1(4):e103.
6. Lu LJ, Wallace DJ, Ishimori ML, Scofield RH, Weisman MH. Review: Male systemic lupus erythematosus: a review of sex disparities in this disease. Lupus. 2010 Feb;19(2):119-129.
7. Kutky M, Aloudat S. Late-Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus With Lupus Nephritis in a 74-Year-Old Male: A Brief Case and Review. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018 Aug 6;5:2054358118793397.
8. Soares PM, Borba EF, Bonfa E, Hallak J, Correˆ a AL, Silva CA. Gonad evaluation in male systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56: 2352–2361.
9. Nancy P, Berrih-Aknin S. Differential estrogen receptor expression in autoimmune myasthenia gravis. Endocrinology 2005; 146: 2345–2353.
10. Carbone LD, Lohr KM. Ethnic differences in male lupus. J Clin Rheumatol 2002; 8: 239–240.
11. Koh WH, Fong KY, Boey ML, Feng PH. Systemic lupus erythematosus in 61 Oriental males. A study of clinical and laboratory manifestations. Br J Rheumatol 1994; 33: 339–342.
12. Tateno S, Hiki Y, Hamaguchi K, Tsuchida H, Shigematsu H, Kobayashi Y. Study of lupus nephritis in males. Q J Med 1991; 81: 1031–1039.
13. Celermajer DS, Thorner PS, Baumal R, Arbus GS. Sex differences in childhood lupus nephritis. Am J Dis Child 1984; 138: 586–588.
14. Specker C, Becker A, Lakomek HJ, Bach D, Grabensee B. Systemischer Lupus Erythematodes bei Männern--Eine andere Krankheitsprognose? [Systemic lupus erythematosus in men--a different prognosis?]. Z Rheumatol. 1994 Nov-Dec;53(6):339-345.
15. Stefanidou S, Gerodimos C, Benos A, Galanopoulou V, Chatziyannis I, Kanakoudi F, et al. Clinical expression and course in patients with late onset systemic lupus erythematosus. Hippokratia. 2013 Apr;17(2):153-156.
16. Cutaneous Manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Luís Uva, Diana Miguel, Catarina Pinheiro, João Pedro Freitas, Manuel Marques Gomes, and Paulo Filipe Soto ME, Vallejo M, Guille´n F, Simo´n JA, Arena E, Reyes PA. Gender impact in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004; 22: 713–721.
17. Murphy G, Isenberg D. Effect of gender on clinical presentation in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013 Dec;52(12):2108-2115.
18. Mohanty R, Mohapatra T. Neuropsychiatric Symptoms as the first Manifestation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in a Male - A Case Report. JMSCR. 2020;08(10):183-184.
19. Uribe AG, McGwin G Jr, Reveille JD, Alarcón GS. What have we learned from a 10-year experience with the LUMINA (Lupus in Minorities; Nature vs. nurture) cohort? Where are we heading. Autoimmun Rev. 2004 Jun;3(4):321-329.
20. Prete PE, Majlessi A, Gilman S, Hamiden F. Systemic lúpus erythematosus in men: a restrospective analysis in a Veterans Administrations Healthcare System population. J Clin Rheum. 2001;7:142–150.