MESIODENTES AS A MECHANICAL OBSTACLE IN THE ERUPTION OF PERMANENT TEETH- CASE REPORT
The aim of this paper is to emphasize the importance of the early detection of supernumerary teeth / mesiodentes that can cause mechanical obstruction in the eruption of permanent teeth and lead to irregularities in the dentition. We present a case of a ten-year-old child who was diagnosed with two mesiodentes and non- erupted permanent central incisors in the upper jaw. The absence of the central permanent incisors was clinically diagnosed and the presence of the mesiodentes was diagnosed with an X-ray. Mesiodentes were positioned below the permanent teeth and on the palatal side. The mechanical obstruction for normal eruption of the permanent incisors was removed when the mesiodentes were extracted under local anesthesia. The child’s condition was excellent and after seven days the sutures were removed. After two and a half months, one of the central incisors erupted. Early detection of mesiodens is an important element for the normal eruption of permanent teeth and proper placement in the dental arch.
Keywords: supernumerary teeth, mesiodens, upper jaw, suture.
2. Von Arx T. Anterior maxillary supernumerary teeth: A clinical and radiographic study. Aus Dent J. 1992;37:189-195.
3. Hakan Avsever, Kaan Gunduz , Kaan Orhan, Seçl Aksoy. An Inverted Eruption of Mesiodens:Report of a Rare Case. a bul ta ri hi / Da te of ac cep tan ce: 19 Şubat 2012 / February 19, 2012.
4. Kim SG, Lee SH. Mesiodens: a clinical and radiographic study. J Dent Child 2003;70(1):58-60.
5. Ersin NK, Candan U, Alpoz AR, Akay C. Mesiodens in primary, mixed and permanent dentitions: a clinical and radiographic study. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2004;28(4):295-298.
6. Hyun HK, Lee SJ, Lee SH, Hahn SH, Kim JW. Clinical characteristics and complications associated with mesiodentes. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67(12):2639-2643.
7. Hong J, Lee DG, Park K. Retrospective analysis of the factors influencing mesiodentes eruption. Int J Paediatr Dent 2009;19(5):343-348.
8. Seddon RP, Johnstone SC, Smith PB. Mesiodentes in twins: a case report and a review of the literature. Int J Paediatr Dent 1997;7(3):177-18.
9. Tay F, Pang A, Yuen S. Unerupted maxillary anterior supernumerary teeth: report of 204 cases. ASDC J Dent Child 1984;51(4):289-294.
10. Atasu M, Orguneser A. Inverted impaction of a mesiodens: a case report. J Clin Pediatr Dent 1999;23(2):143-145.
11. Fernandes HA. Unerupted maxillary anteriors. Unerupted, inverted mandibular second molar. Case reports. J India Dent Assoc 1965;37(8):269.
12. Yamaoka M, Furusawa K, Tanaka M, Tanaka H. Unerupted canine without median diastema. J Oral Rehabil 1997;24(6):454-456.
13. Engel M, Katsaros C. Replantation of an inverted lower second premolar germ. J Orofac Orthop 1997;58(5):282-285.
14. Gold J, Demby N. Rare inverted maxillary third molar impaction: report of case. J Am Dent Assoc 1973;87(1):186-188.
15. Muller EJ. Inverted and rotated central incisor with dilaceration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1979;47(4):393.
16. Mori S, Kitamura K, Ohmori T. Inverted tooth eruption. Report of a case. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1979;47(4):389-390.
17. Slavoljub Tomic, Svjetlana Jankovic, Bojana Smrekic, Stevanka Оrevic. Posledice neblagovremeno dijagnostikovanog prisustva meziodensa - prikaz slučaja.The consequences of An untimely diagnosed mesiodens - case report.248 Stom Glas S, vol. 54, 2007.
18. Beloica D. i saradnici; Decja stomatologija-praktikum,Kuca štampe, Zemun 2006.
19. Graovac Ž.; Osnovi decje stomatologije, Naucna knjiga, Beograd 1980.
20. Markovic S.; Ortodoncija, OSS, Beograd 1982.