OVERLAP SYNDROME IN A REFRACTORY CASE
This is a report of the case of a 23 years-old girl with refractory dermatomyositis, complications in her treatment and the unfortunate fatal end. Dermatomyositis can be a notoriously difficult disease to treat, and remission is often elusive or short-lived despite aggressive therapy. In the years after the diagnosis, many aggressive modalities of treatment were tried, including rituximab. The patient had frequent exacerbations of the myositis, needed aggressive therapy and developed many side effects associated with the treatment. Most common of these were infections. After suffering severe stress, she developed fever, was diagnosed with sepsis and despite exhaustive treatment at the intensive care unit she passed away.
Key words: dermatomyositis, refractory, immunosuppression, sepsis.
2. Troyanov Y, Targoff IN, Tremblay JL, Goulet JR, Raymond Y, Senecal JL. Novel classification of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies based on overlap syndrome features and autoantibodies: analysis of 100 French Canadian patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 2005; 84: 231–49.
3. Bronner IM, van der Meulen MF, de Visser M, Kalmijn S, van Venrooij WJ, Voskuyl AE, et al. Long-term outcome in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Ann Rheum Dis 2006; 65: 1456–61.
4. Shu XM, Lu X, Xie Y, Wang GC. Clinical characteristics and favorable long-term outcomes for patients with idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: a retrospective single center study in China. BMC Neurol 2011; 11: 143.
5. Van de Vlekkert J, Hoogendijk JE, de Haan RJ, Algra A, van der Tweel I, van der Pol WL, et al. Oral dexamethasone pulse therapy versus daily prednisolone in sub-acute onset myositis, a randomised clinical trial. Neuromuscul Disord 2010; 20: 382–9.
6. Gordon PA, Winer JB, Hoogendijk JE, Choy EH. Immunosuppressant and immunomodulatory treatment for dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012:CD003643.
7. Bader-Meunier B, Decaluwe H, Barnerias C, Gherardi R, Quartier P, Faye A, et al, for the Club Rhumatismes et Inflammation. Safety and efficacy of rituximab in severe juvenile dermatomyositis: results from 9 patients from the French Autoimmunity and Rituximab registry. J Rheumatol 2011; 38: 1436–40.
8. Mahler EA, Blom M, Voermans NC, van Engelen BG, van Riel PL, Vonk MC. Rituximab treatment in patients with refractory inflammatory myopathies. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2011; 50: 2206–13.
9. Oddis CV, Reed AM, Aggarwal R, Rider LG, Ascherman DP, Levesque MC, et al, and the RIM Study Group. Rituximab in the treatment of refractory adult and juvenile dermatomyositis and adult polymyositis: a randomized, placebo-phase trial. Arthritis Rheum 2013; 65: 314–24.
10. Unger L, Kampf S, Lüthke K, Aringer M. Rituximab therapy in patients with refractory dermatomyositis or polymyositis: differential effects in a real-life population. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014 Sep;53(9):1630-8. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/keu024. Epub 2014 Apr 4.