COMPOUND ODONTOMA IN CHILDHOOD POPULATION (CASE REPORT)
Odontomas are odontogenic benign tumors composed of dental tissue. Most of these lesions are asymptomatic and are often detected on routine radiographs. Morphologically odontomas can be classified as complex, when present as irregular masses containing different types of dental tissues, or as compound if there is superficial anatomic similarity to even rudimentary teeth – the denticles. They are considered to be hamartomas rather than neoplasms, and are composed of natural teeth tissues: enamel, dentin, cementum and pulp tissue.The aim of this study is to show the significance of persistence for these asymptomatic malformations which usually can lead to malocclusion or many different orthodontic irregularities. A 13-year-old girl with mixed dentition attended our Dental Clinic appointment with doubt about the apparent delay in exfoliation of deciduous teeth: 63–64. A panoramic radiograph showed retained left maxillary canine and first premolar. While the presence of undefined lesion formed by many radiopaque small tooth-like structures constituting an obstacle to the respective permanent teeth eruption. Under local anesthesia, access to the lesion was achieved via intra-oral approach and its surgical removal was performed. The histopathologic examination confirmed the diagnosis of compound odontoma. Routine radiographic examination is important for early detection of silent lesions such as odontomas.
Key words: odontogenic tumors, diagnosis, odontoma, lesion.
2. Morgan P.R. Odontogenic tumors: a review. Periodontol 2000. 2011;57(1):160-76.
3. Özcan G., Şekerci A.E., Ekizer A., Kara Ö. Erupted Compound Odontoma: Two Case Reports.
Turkiye Klinikleri. J Dental Sci Cases. 2015;1(2):126-30.
4. Liu J.K., Hsiao C.K., Chen H.A., Tsai M.Y. Orthodontic correction of a mandibular first molar
deeply impacted by an odontoma: A case report. Quintessence International. 1997;28(6):381-5.
5. Owens B., Schuman N., Mincer H., Turner J., Oliver F. Dental odontomas: a retrospective study
of 104 cases. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1997;21(3):261-4.
6. Sánchez O.H., Berrocal M.L., González J.M. Metaanalysis of the epidemiology and clinical manifestations of odontomas. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2008;13(11): E730-4.
7. Amailuk P., Grubor D. Erupted compound odontoma: case report of a 15-year-old Sudanese boy with a history of traditional dental mutilation. Br Dent J. 2008;204(1):11-4.
8. Katz R. An analysis of compound and complex odontomas. ASDC journal of dentistry for children. 1989;56(6):445-9.
9. Bordini J., Contar C.M., Sarot J.R.., Fernandes Â., Machado M.Â.N. Multiple compound odontomas in the jaw: case report and analysis of the literature. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2008;66(12):2617-20.
10. Cawson R., Binnie W., Speight P., Barrett A., Wright J.Luca's pathology of tumors of the oral tissues. 5th ed., Churchill Livingstone, (1998), pp. 83-85
11. Cawson R., Odell E.W.Cawson's essentials of oral pathology and oral medicine. 7th ed., Churchill Livingstone, (2002), pp. 134-136
12. Iatrous I., Vardas E., Theologie-Lygidakis N., Leventis M.A retrospective analysis of the
characteristics, treatment and follow-up of 26 odontomas in Greekchildren. J Oral Sci, 52 (2010),
pp. 439-447 Medline
13. Yadav M., Godge P., Meghana S., Kulkarni S.Compound odontoma. Contemp Clin Dent, 3 (2012), pp. S13-S15http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.95095 | Medline
14. Ragalli C.C., Ferreria J.L., Blasco F.Large erupting complex odontoma. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 29 (2000), pp. 373-374 | Medline
15. Sierra-Serra G., Berini-Aytés L., Gay-Escoda C.Erupted odontomas: a report of three cases and
review of the literature.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 14 (2009), pp. E299-E303 | Medline
16. Nelson B.L., Thompson L.D.Compound odontoma. Head Neck Pathol, 4 (2010), pp. 290-291
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12105-010-0186-2 | Medline
17. An S., An C., Choi K.Odontoma: a retrospective study of 73 cases.Imaging Sci Dent, 42 (2012), pp. 77-
81http://dx.doi.org/10.5624/isd.2012.42.2.77 | Medline
18. Hisatomi M., Asaumi J., Konouchi H., Honda Y., Wakasa T., Kishi K.A case of complex odontoma associated with an impacted lower deciduous second molar and analysis of the 107 odontomas. Oral Dis, 8 (2002), pp. 100-105 | Medline
19. Vengal M., Arora H., Ghosh S., Pai K.Large erupting complex odontoma: a case report.J Can Dent Assoc, 73 (2007), pp. 169-723 | Medline