THE ASSOCIATION OF HOMOCYSTEINE AND METHYLENE TETRAHYDROFOLATE REDUCTASE (MTHFR C677T) GENE POLYMORPHISM WITH DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN THE POPULATION OF NORTH MACEDONIA
The implications of the methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) gene and the level of total homocysteine (tHcy) in the pathogenesis of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) have been extensively studied in various ethnic groups. Our aim was to discover the association of MTHFR (C677T) polymorphism and homocysteine level in healthy subjects and in patients with DVT in the Republic of North Macedonia. The study group consisted of 123 healthy subjects, control group, and 93 consecutive ultrasonography and/or venography confirmed DVT patients. The concentration of plasma tHcy was determined by cyclical enzymatic method and the MTHFR gene polymorphism was analyzed by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP).The results obtained for mean plasma tHcy in the control group were 9.7±3.65 μmol/L, while tHcy level was significantly higher in patients with deep vein thrombosis - 15.19±3.63 μmol/L (р<0.001). The highest frequency of mutation of MTFHR gene C677T was found for genotype CT, followed by wild genotype CC and the lowest frequency of genotype TT was found in control and DVT groups.The results have shown that plasma tHcy level is a contributing factor for development of this disease, DVT. Our findings have shown that MTHFR C677T polymorphisms were not associated with deep vein thrombosis in the selected population.
Key words:total homocysteine, deep vein thrombosis, methylenttetrahydrofolate reductase
2. Refsum H, Nygard O, Kvale G, Ueland PM, Volset SE. The Hordaland Homocysteine Study: the opposite tails Odds Ratios reveal different effect of gender and intake of vitamin supplements at high and low plasma and total homocysteine concentrations. J Nutr.1996; (126):44–48.
3. Disturbed homocysteine metabolism is associated with cancer. HasanT, Arora R, Bansal AK, Bhattacharya R, Sharma GS, Singh LR. Experimental & Molecular Medicine 2019; 51:21
4. Markovia A. Vasculitis and vasculopathy. Acta Med Croat 2012; 66(1):19-24.
5. Grifoni E, Marcucci R, Ciuti G, Cenci C, Poli D, Mannini L et al. The thrombophilic pattern of different clinical manifestations of venous thromboembolism: a survey of 443 cases of venous thromboembolism. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2012; 38(2): 230-4.
6. Guerzoni AR, Biselli PM, Godoy MF, Souza DR, Haddad R, Eberlin MN, Pavarino-Bertelli EC, Goloni-Bertollo EM. Homocysteine and MTHFR and VEGF gene polymorphisms: impact on coronary artery disease. Arq Bras Cardiol 2009; 92(4):263-8.
7. Dzekova- Stojkova S, et al. Hyperhomocysteinemia and methylentetrahydrofolate reductase (C677T) genetic polymorphism as risk factor for blood vessels disease. Scientific project no 13-1672/4-02, Medical Faculty, Skopje 2006 (in Macedonian).
8. Spirovski I, Kedev S, Antov S, Arsov T, Krstevska M, Dzhekova-Stojkova S et al. Association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR-677 and MTHFR-1298) genetic polymorphisms with occlusive artery disease and deep venous thrombosis in Macedonians. Croat Med J. 2008;49:39-49.
9. Brezovska-Kavrakova J, Krstevska M,Bosilkova G,Alabakovska S, Panov S, Orovcanec N. Hyperhomocysteinemia and of Methylentetrahydrofolate Reductase (677) Genetic Polymorphism in Patients with Deep Vein Thrombosis. Mater Sociomedm 2013;25(3):170-174.
10. Zappacosta B, Persichilli S, Minucci A, Scribano D, Baroni S, Fasanella S, et al. Evaluation of a new enzymatic method for homocysteine measurement. Clin Biochemistry 2006; 39(1):62-6.
11. Schneider JA, Rees DC, Liu YT, Clegg JB. Worldwide distribution of a common methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase mutation. Am J Hum Genet. 1998; 62(5):1258-60.
12. Camberlin ME, Ubagi T, Mudd SH, Thomas J, Pao YJ, Nguyen TK, et al. Methionine adenosyltransferase I/III deficiency: novel mutations and clinical variation. Am J Hum Genet 2000;(66):347-53.
13. Frosst P, Blom HJ, Milos R et al. A candidate genetic risk factor for vascular disease: a common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. Nat Gen 1995;10:111-3.
14. Lee EJ, Cho YJ, Yoon YJ. Methylentetrahydrofolate reductase C677T gene mutation as risk factor for sudden sensoneural hearing loss: association with plasma homocysteine, folate and cholesterol concentrations. J Laryngol Otol. 2010;124(12):1268-73.
15. Huang T, Tucker KL, Lee YC, Crott JW, Parnell LD, Shen J, et al. Methylenetetrhydrofolate reductase variants associated with hypertension and cardiovascular disease interact with dietary polyunsaturated fatty acid to modulate plasma homocysteine in Puerto Rican adults. J Nutr. 2011;141(4):654-9.
16. Vaya A, Carmona P, Badia N, Perez R, Mijares AH, Corella D. Homocysteine levels and metabolic syndrome in Mediterranean population: a case control study. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2011; 47(1):59-66.
17. Uchida Y, Sugiura S, Ando F, Nakashima T, Shimokata H. Hearing impairment risik and interaction of folate metabolism related gene polymorphisms in an aging study. BMC Med Genet. 2011;(12):35.
18. Sheweita SA, Baghdadi H, Allam AR. Role of genetic changes in the progression of cardiovascular diseases.Int J Biomed Sci. 2011;7(4):238-48.
19. Naushad SM, Krishnaprasad C, Devi AR. Adaptive developmental plasticity in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism limits its frequency in South Indians. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;41(5):3045-50.
20. Cohen DA, Shirts BH, Jackson BR, Parker LS. Laboratory informatics based evaluation of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T genetic test overutilization. J Pathol Inform.2013;29(4):33.
21. Wilcken B, Bamforth F, Li Z, Zhu H, Ritvanen A, Renlund M, et all. Geographical and ethnic variation of the 677C>T allele of 5,10 methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR): findings from over 7000 newborns from 16 areas worldwide. J Med Genet. 2003 Aug;40(8):619-25.
22. Kiseljakovic E, Valjevac A, Hasic S, Icindic EN, Dzubur A, Jadric R. Associaton of homocysteine with trdicional and non-traditional risk factors in patients with atherosclerotic vascular disease. Med Glas Ljek Komore Zenicko-Doboj Kantona 2011;8(1):126-133.