ER:YAG LASER:MINIMAL INVASIVE TECHNIQUE FOR VESTIBULOPLASTY IN THE LOWER JAw
INTRODUCTION: Vestibuloplasty is a surgical procedure wherein oral vestibule is deepened by changing soft tissue attachments to improve functional vestibular sulcus. In edentulous mandibulae patient with inadequate buccal depth, it is necessary to do surgically detaching the soft tissue attachments. When the benefits and risks of alternative treatment modalities are taken into account for the conventional surgical procedure, minimally invasive laser assisted soft-tissue excision and ablation seems to be very attractive technique.
AIM: Main aim of this case report was to evaluate the effect of Er:YAG laser assisted operation technique on post-operative outcome of edentulous patient, undergoing partial vestibuloplasty.
METHODS AND MATERIALS: In this case we present the use of Er:YAG laser to change the soft tissue attachments in the oral vestibulum of the lower jaw. A 59- year old patient was refered to the University Department of oral surgery. After intraoral clinical examination were found complete mandibular edentulism with depth vestibule, sufficient bone height in anterior region and presence of mucosal ligaments. Anterior mandibule vestibuloplasty was planned to prepare the patient for prosthetic rehabilitation. The patient was operated using laser assisted technique for vestibuloplasty with Er:YAG laser (Fotona Fidelis III ) to deep the oral vestibulum.
RESULTS: Our results show that Er:YAG laser assisted vestibuloplasty was a minimally invasive surgical procedure with no pain and bleeding.
CONCLUSION: Advantiges of laser treatment over conventional metods include minimal cellular destruction, tissue swelling and scarring, hemostasis, minimal or no suturing, reduction in surgical time, postoperative pain and discomfort.
2.Hillerup S. Preprosthetic mandibular vestibuloplasty with split-skin graft: A two-year follow-up study. Int J Oral Maxillofacial Surg, 1987;16:270-278.
3. Hillerup S. Hjorting-Hansen E, Solow B. Influence mandibular vestibuloplasty. A 5-year clinical and radiological follow ap study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1990;19:212-215.
4. American Academy of Periodontology. Glossary of periodontal terms;4th ed.Chicago: American Academy of Periodontology 2001:55-56.
5. Waite D.E., Overview and historical perspective of oral reconstructive surgery. Oral Surg, Oral Med,Oral Path 1989:68(4):495-498.
6. Froshl T, Kerscher A. The optimal vestibuloplasty in preprosthetic surgery of the mandibule. J Craniomaxillofacial Surgery,1997;25:85-90.
7. Pick RM, Colvard MD. Current Status of Lasers in Soft Tissue Dental Surgery, J Periodont 1993;64:589-602.
8. Coleton S. Lasers in surgical periodontics and oral medicine. Dent Clin North Am.2004,48:937-62.
9. Goharkhay K, Moritz A, Wilder-Smith P, Schoop U, Kluger W, Jakolitisch S,et al. Effects on oral soft tissue produced by a diode laser in vitro. Lasers Surg Med 1999;25:401-06.
10. Tomov G, Bachurska S, Tashkova D, Ivanov G. Pathomorphological distinction between Er:YAG and diode lasers on the excisional biopsy of the oral mucosa. Russional Open Medical Journal 2013; 2:44-49.
11. Niemz MH. Laser-Tissue Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications ( Biological and Medical Physics ).2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag,2002; pp 45-80.
12. Venugopalan V. Pulsed laser ablation of tissue: surface vaporization of thermal explosion? SPIE Proc, 1995;2391:184-189.
13. Kacarska M, Dimitrovski O, Popovic Monevska D. Preprosthetic laser assisted mandibular vestibuloplasty. Balk J Dent Med,2016;20:182-185.
14. Tomov G. Laser surgery in everyday practice with with Er:YAG laser Lite-Touch.Dental Tribune 2011;2:6-9.
15. Edlan A, Mejchar B. Plastic surgery of the vestibulum in periodontal therapy. Int Dent J 1963; 13:593-96.
16. Kazanjian VH. Surgical operations as related to satisfactory dentures. Dent Cosmos 1924;66:387-91
17. Corn H. Periosteal separation-its clinical significance. J Periodontol 1962;33:140-53.
18. Pirnat S. Versatility of 810 nm diode laser in dentistry: an overview J Laser Healt Acad 2007; 4:1-9.
19. Moritz A, Schoop U, Goharkhay K, Schauer P, Doertbudak O, Wernisch J, et al. treatment of periodontal pockets with a diode laser.Lasers Surg Med 1998; 22:302-11.
20. Parker S. Lasers and soft tissue: fixed soft tissue surgery: Br Dent J 2007; 202:247-53.
21. Nammour S, Gerges E, Bou Tayeh R, Zeinov. Oral crest lengthening for increasing removable denture retention by means of CO2 laser. Scientific World Journal 2014;2014:738643.
22. Leinoun T, Nammour S, Dourov N, Aftimos G, Luomanen M. Myofibroblasts in healing laser excision wounds. Lasers Surg Med 2001; 28:74-79.