EPULLIS FISSURATUM - CLINICAL DOCTRINE IN THE SELECTION OF DIFFERENT SURGICAL TECHNIQUES
Epulis fissuratum - fibrous inflammatory hyperplasia is a benign change in connective tissue that occurs as a result of chronic mechanical irritation caused by inadequate prosthetic devices. Treatment consists of excision of change and prosthetic rehabilitation.
The aim of this paper was to present various surgical techniques performed at the Clinic for Oral Surgery, the advantages and disadvantages offered by each of them: conventional scalpel technique; laser technique; combined (scalpel / lasers).
For this purpose, we present three cases where eupullis fissuratum was clinically registered. Individually, in each case we applied one of the surgical techniques, using local anesthesia, a basic surgical set, and an Er.Yag laser.
The advantages offered by the laser technique in terms of intraoperative bleeding, postoperative flow and healing, which are a dry working field, absence of pain, swelling and redness, recovery of the surgical wound without scarring make the method of choice.
The combined technique had an advantage over laser surgery only in terms of the speed of excision performed with a scalpel.
Postoperative course and healing were equivalent to the laser technique.
2. Espinoza I, Rojas R, Aranda W, Gamonal J. Prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in elderly people in Santiago Chile. J Oral Pathol Med.2003;32:571-5.
3. Firoosmand LM, Almeide JD, Cabral RA. Study of denture-induced fibrous hyperplasia cases diagnosed from 1979-2001.Quintesssence Int.2005;36:825-9.
4. Mortazavi H, Khalighi HR, Jafari S, Baharvand M. Epulis fissuratum in the soft palate: Report of a case in a very rare location. Dental Hypotheses 2016;7(2): 67-9.
5. Epulis - podjela, patologija i diferencijalna dijagnostika. Salaric I, Macan D, Alajbeg I. SONDA 2011;54-8.
6. Zivkovic S, Blazic L, Kolar U. Primena lasera u stomatologiji. J Serbian Dental 2004,51:146-52.
7. Capodiferro S, Maorano E, Skarpell F, Faviva G. Fibrolipoma of the lip treated by Diode laser surgeru: A case report J. Med Case Reports 2008; 12 (2):301.
8. Schuller DE. Use of the laser in the oral cavitu. Otolaringolo Clin NA 1990; 23:31-42.
9. Pudza N. Upotreba lasera u savremenoj medicini. SCRIBD available on https://www.scribd.com/doc/139441073/Upotreba-Lasera-u-Savremenoj-Medicini
10. AndoY, Aoki A, Watanab H. Bactericidal effect of Er: YAG laser on periodontopathic bacteria. Laser Surg Med.1996;19:190-200.
11. Clayman L, Kuo P, eds. Lasers in Maxillofacial Surgery and dentistry. New York, NY:Thieme Medical Pub;1997:19-28
12. Luomanen M. Extracellularen matrix in healing CO2 laser incision wound J. Oral Pathol 1987 16; (6):322-31.