MORPHOLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE RECURRENT ARTERY OF HEUBNER
Cerebral circulation, especially arterial, in recent decades has attracted the interest of anatomists and clinicians.
The aim of this study was to present the morphological and topographic characteristics of the Heubner artery.
Anatomical characteristics of the recurrent artery of Heubner of 133 human brains without cerebrovascular pathology from both sexes at the age from 23 to 68 years were examined. Brain specimens were fixed in a 10% solution of formaldehyde, and the obtained material was analyzed using a stereoscopic light microscope.
In 94% brain specimens had a recurrent artery of Heubner while in 6% of the brains we could not identify the artery. The artery was present as a single vessel in 76% of cases, and as a double vessel in 24% of cases. It originated from the junction of the anterior cerebral artery and the anterior communicating artery in 60% of the specimens, from the A2 segment of the anterior cerebral artery in 21% of the specimens, and from the A1 segment of the anterior cerebral artery in 19%. The length of the recurrent artery of Heubner ranged from 14 to 46 mm, with a mean value of 24 mm. The diameter of the artery ranged from 0.9 to 2.8 mm, with a mean value of 1.3 mm.
Detailed anatomical knowledge of the recurrent artery of Heubner is important when considering vascular surgery in the area of the anterior portion of the circle of Willis.
2. Dimitriu CrP, Iliescu DM, Bordei P, Bulbuc I. Recurrent artery of Huebner-morphological variations. ARS Medica Tomitana 2013; 19(3):141-6.
3. Vasovic Lj, Ugrenovic S, Jovanovic I. Human fetal medial striate artery or artery of Heubner. J Neurosurg Pediatrics.F 2009; 3:206-301.
4. El Falougy H, Selmeciova P, Kubikova E, Haviarova Z. The variable origin of the recurrent artery of Heubner: an anatomical and morphometric study. Biomed Res Int. 2013; Article ID:873434.
5. Loukas M, Louis RG Jr, Childs RS. Anatomical examination of the recurrent artery of Heubner. Clin Anat. 2006; 19(1):25-31.
6. Zunon-Kipre Y, Peltier J, Haidara A, Havet E, Kakou M, Le Gars D. Microsurgical anatomy of distal medial striate artery (recurrent artery of Heubner). Surg Radiol Anat. 2012; 34(1):15-20.
7. Avci E, Fossett D, Aslan M, Attar A, Egemen N. Branches of the anterior cerebral artery near the anterior communicating artery complex: an anatomic study and surgical perspective. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2003; 43:329-33.
8. Rosner SS, Rhoton AL, Ono M, Rarry M. Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior perforating arteries. J Neurosurg. 1984; 61(3):468–85.
9. Aydin IH, Onder A, Takci E, Kadioglu HH, Kayaoglu CR, Tuzun Y. Heubner`s artery variations in anterior communicating artery aneurysms. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1994; 127(1-2):17-20.
10. Gomes F, Dujovny M, Umansky F, Ausman JI, Diaz FG, Ray WJ, Mirchandani HG. Microsurgical anatomy of the recurrent artery of Heubner. J Neurosurg. 1984; 60(1):130-9.
11. Perlmutter D, Rhoton AL. Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral-anterior communicating-recurrent artery complex. J Neurosurg. 1976; 45(3):259–72.
12. Kedia S, Daisy S, Mukherjee KK, Salunke P, Srinivasa R, Narain MS. Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral artery in Indian cadavers. Neurol India. 2013; 61:117-21.
13. Boongird A, Duangtongphon P. Variation in the recurrent artery of Heubner in human cadavers. J Med Assoc Thai. 2009; 92(5):643-7.
14. Narayanan S. Gross anatomical study of recurrent artery of Huebner. NJCA. 2015; 4(1):5-11.
15. Monroy-Sosa A, Perez-Cruz JC, Reyes-Soto G, Delgado-Hernandez C, Macias-Duvignau MA, Delgado-Reyes L. Importance of the microsurgical anatomy of the A1-anterior communicating artery complex. Cir Cir. 2013; 81(4):256-62.
16. Mortimer AM, Steinfort B, Faulder K, Erho T, Scherman DB, Rao PJ, et al. Rates of local procedural-related structural injury following clipping or coiling of anterior communicating artery aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016; 8(3):256-64.
17. Sekhar LN, Natarajan SK, Britz GW, Ghodke B. Microsurgical management of anterior communicating artery aneurysms. Neurosurgery. 2007; 61(5Suppl 2):273-90.
18. Uzun I, Gurdal E, Cakmak YO, Ozdogmus O, Cavdar S. A reminder of the anatomy of the recurrent artery of Heubner. Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2009; 70:36-8.