CAROTID ARTERY STENTING OF INTERNAL CAROTID ARTERY“NEAR OCCLUSION” STENOSIS – CASE REPORT
Carotid near-occlusion stenosis is distal luminal collapse of the internal carotid artery beyond a tight stenosis. In everyday practice, it is easily misdiagnosed as a conventional high degree stenosis. Because of the different stroke risk, proper differentiation of these two types of lesions is important for the correct treatment decision. Recent data showed no advantage of best medical therapy versus surgical endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting.We report a case of carotid artery stenting of symptomatic ICANO stenosis without full collapse, via transradial approach, in the presence of contralateral ICA (Internal Carotid Artery) “critical” stenosis.This case provides additional data about optimal treatment of these patients, who are often excluded from randomized control trials (RCT’s), but frequently encountered in the cardiovascular practice.
Key words: carotid artery stenting, near occlusion stenosis, internal carotid artery
2. Naylor AR, Ricco JB, de Borst GJ, Debus S, de Haro J, Halliday A, et al. Editor's Choice - Management of Atherosclerotic Carotid and Vertebral Artery Disease: 2017 Clinical Practice Guidelines of the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS). (2018) Eur J Vascul and endovascular surgery: the official journal of the European Society for Vascular Surgery.2018;55(1):3-81.
3. Johansson E, Fox A.J. Carotid Near-Occlusion: A Comprehensive Review, Part 1—Definition, Terminology, and Diagnosis. Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37(1):2-10.
4. Fox AJ, Eliasziw M, Rothwell PM, Schmidt MH, Warlow CP, Barnett HJ. Identification, prognosis, and management of patients with carotid artery near occlusion. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2005 Sep;26(8):2086-94.
5. Johansson E, Fox AJ. Carotid Near-Occlusion: A Comprehensive Review, Part 2-Prognosis and Treatment, Pathophysiology, Confusions, and Areas for Improvement. (2016) AJNR. Am J Neuroradiol.2016;37(2):200-4.
6. Meershoek AJA, de Vries EE, Veen D, den Ruijter HM, de Borst GJ, Garcia-Pastor A, et al. Meta-analysis of the outcomes of treatment of internal carotid artery near occlusion. (2019) The British journal of surgery.2019;106 (6): 665-671.
7. Mylonas SN, Antonopoulos CN, Moulakakis KG, Kakisis JD, Liapis CD. Management of Patients with Internal Carotid Artery Near-total Occlusion: An Updated Meta-analysis. (2015) Annals of vascular surgery. 29 (8): 1664-72.
8. Kim J, Male S, Damania D, Jahromi BS, Tummala RP. Comparison of Carotid Endarterectomy and Stenting for Symptomatic Internal Carotid Artery Near-Occlusion. Am J Neuroradiol. 2019;40(7):1207-121